We Need to Make Sure it Lasts
Lorraine and John are getting ready to retire after decades of working and saving. As they approach this big transition, they are nervous because they figure they have made all the money they are going to make. They will each have pension and social security income, but are unsure about what, if any, money they can reasonably draw from their retirement savings. They can tell it will be hard to live on their monthly incomes alone, and figure they can take some money out of their retirement assets. They know they want to spend some extra money on travel. However, they don't have a sense of what's sustainable over a long period of time. For Lorraine and John, North Berkeley's comprehensive approach:
- Enables them to see the big picture of the way their money could last in a straightforward and intuitive way
- Helps them build a budget for monthly and periodic spending that gives them the feeling that they know where their money is going, and for what
- Allows for future growth of investments while drawing regularly from the portfolio to contribute to their retirement cash flow
- Sets aside a specific travel budget
- Targets and then monitors, with regular check-ins, regular withdrawals from their portfolio that gives them confidence they can enjoy what they have saved so long for
The stories we tell here are broad examples shared after years of working with hundreds of clients. No person or name actually represents a unique client situation, as our client relationships are held in strictest confidence.